Friday, May 19, 2006

Still in our holding pattern

Ok....Yes, it's really me again. I see that it has been 2 whole weeks since I have blogged, but I feel like all I have been writing lately has been depressing, well, except for the last one....that was pretty cute.
So, here I am again. 2 weeks pass and I still only have depressing things to write about. Oh well, here it goes anyways.
On May 18th, Carson and Cooper saw Dr. Jensen, their Caniofacial surgeon. He will be the second pair of hands in this journey they will be taking here shortly.
*I must admit, I will be writing very specific details so if you chose not to be OVERLY informed, you may want to stop reading now. Thank you much for stopping by!
For the rest of you, our appointment went like this:
We started with Cooper, and for the first time I got to see what his CT scan looked liked. It was actually pretty cool. The doctor had the scan rotating so I could see everything - even the fussion. Looks exactly how you think a skull would look. Then I got to see Carson's CT pictures. Totally opposite of Cooper's. My first thought was "Holy shit," why are there holes in her skull? Her scan looked like a mouse had eatten holes in her skull. Dr. Jensen then quickly chimed in to let me know that indeed they were not holes, but areas of very thin bone. Can I just say for the very first time since this whole thing came about, I was scared. Why were there holes? Ok, thin spots????? How come Carson had this and Cooper did not???
Carson also has a pretty nice size ridge at the top of her head and I was told that her head is trying to grow grow grow grow and it is growing any which way it can and some parts are growing faster than others. Alrighty then.
He then begins to tell me that both kids were born with their sutures fused. But because the bone is so thin when they are just born, it is hard for the CT scan to detect if the suture is really open or closed so it appears open. That's something we didn't know. Also, he told me that by the look of Carson's CT scan she is having some pressure behind her eyes. So, he is refering us to the Ped Ophthamologist so they can detect how much pressure there really is.
We then started talking about the procedure and what exactly is going to happen and what roles both he, the Craniofacial surgeon, and Dr. Muszynski, the neurosurgeon will have. The surgery process will begin on a Thursday, Friday morning will be surgery, they will spend the first day/night in the ICU, then Saturday - Sunday they will move to the regular hospital floor, and Monday they will get to come home. The surgery will take 6 hours. He, Dr. Jensen, will make the inital "cosmetic" incesion ear to ear, he will pull back the scalp and mark on the skull where he needs to cut and which bones need to be removed. Then Dr. Muszynski will make the first of many cuts to make sure the brain is out of the way for the removal of the bones. If I remember correctly, 2 bones, one on each side of the fused area will be removed by Dr. Jensen. Then, after all the bone are cut and removed, he will put everything back together by using plastic plates and screws. Which is the reason there will be no need for a helmet/band after surgery. Everything will be in place and in the right position. We were also told, again, that there is a good possiblity they may need a blood transfusion. I have the info for those of you that have asked about donating for them I will let you know what needs to be done. As for having a date yet? Nope, not yet.
They would prefer ther kids to be 6 months old(adjusted age) before he does the surgery.The bones in their heads need to be a bit stronger so it can handle having screws placed.
So, with out knowing anything from the Ophthamologist, surgery will be done at the end of July, early August. Depending on the results of the eye exams, Carson's may be moved up. And, they won't do both kids together, they will be done about 1 month apart. So, here we sit in the holding pattern again. That's the update we have for now.Thanks....to everyone!

2 comments:

Lost A Sock said...

Ugh, what a visit. And how crazy to think that this is something you would someday have to become an expert on. But you are doing it, and you are doing it well. We're pulling for ya, mommy.

Frema said...

Yes, we are. Keep us updated.