Tuesday, January 09, 2007

I was ready for a fight - and then a miracle

Ladies how many of you have male ob/gyn's? Is it just me, or do they sometimes not get it?

Now that I am all done with having "twins", I was wondering if I should switch to a female OB?

In the winter of 2004, when I was trying to get pregnant, I was referred to my doctor that I have now. He is great with helping women who can't get pregnant on their own. Especially women who have (PCOS) poly cystic ovaries. I can't tell you how great he was during my pregnancy and even when it came time to deliver my twins by c-section 9 weeks early, and even tying my tubes which he wasn't so sure was the right thing for me, but smiled and did it anyways.
He was wonderful.

When it came time for my 6 week check up, I pleaded my case about having a hysterectomy. With having PCOS, I get my period maybe twice and year, and of course, never ovulate. My ovaries are filled with cysts, there is abnormal bleeding, and a bunch of pain that comes with it all. Not mentioning the diabetic drug I needed to be on to regulate my insulin caused by the PCOS. Not a fun thing to have. He told me NO. HE thought I was to young and that the side affects from PCOS are a lot more mild then the side affects of Menopause. Who is he to tell me which is worse? How does he know? Are his ovaries filled with little cysts that keep bursting??? So, he told me NO. Ok.

Today, I had my lovely yearly exam. I was ready to put up a fight about having a total hysterectomy. As I am laying on the exam table waiting for him to finish the test, he says to me " Are you regretting the tubal I did last year?" Knowing he has no children of his own, I wanted to blurt out, " Why don't you come to my house and stay with my 4 children who are all under the age of 4, and then you tell me if I am regretting the tubal" But no, I politely said, "Nope, not one bit". He smiled and giggled. I'm sure he was thinking I was going to hate it. He tried to talk me out of it, but come on, 4 kids under the age of 4 is enough for anyone!!!

So, he starts to ask if I am having more than 4 cycles a year? I said, "no". He then tells me that I have endometriosis - which is new from last year. I said...."We need to talk..." "I have been wearing protection since August not knowing when Aunt flow is going to show up and I have been having pain!" He says to me, " Oh, That is not acceptable at all". YAH THINK!
So, I nicely started my conversation by saying, "I would like a hysterectomy please?" And wouldn't you know it.....HE AGREED!
So, here I sit waiting to schedule my appointment. I could not be happier!
Also, They now do it laparoscopiclly, not via c-section. That should make things a bit easier too. I know many of you are thinking, "She's Crazy", but until you have lived with PCOS, You have no idea......

All I can say is "Thank heavens, there is God".( and she must be female!)

3 comments:

Scrappy Rose said...

My friend had a complete hysteroctomy at 28 years old. For different reasons than you though. She doesn't have one regret! She feels better and doesn't have the worry about kids (which she did not want). You know your body and you've got a houseful ... if you get the itch again ... there is always adoption! You could be the next Jolie/Pitt family!

Lost A Sock said...

Nervous for ya, but glad you don't have to deal with PCOS anymore. Now for you to just make it through hot flashes. Wink wink.

Tawnja said...

I had my hysterectomy two days after my 27th brithday, and am SO happy. when I see a tampaz commercial I say a little prayer for all of those who still have to deal with the nastiness of it all.
I had all three of my kids by the time I was 24, so the kids thing was not an issue.
Kinda funny 'cause my husband had had a vasectomy a year before (he wouldn't have had to, if we had known)tee hee.