Monday, April 03, 2006

One down, two to go.

Well, It has been an eventful week here at our house. Cooper had his hernia surgery a week early. It was supposed to be done on the 7th, but the the doctor called and asked if we wouldn't mind having it a week early. So, finally, it's over. Cooper was a champ. He did terrific. The surgery lasted about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Not bad. They made an incesion under his belly button and scoped both his left and right groin areas. They only found the hernia on the left. They then made about an 1 1/2 incesion and repaired the left side. (the picture isn't the great but if you look up at the right corner of the picture you can see a line that goes down about 1/2 inch...that's the hernia that needed to be sewn shut.)Get this, they gave him an epidural. I thought that was pretty funny. I thought they were only used on pregnant women. Who knew?
Anyways....I wish I had a camera when he can rolling out of the recovery room. He was laughing and flirting with the nurses...... It was cute. I am sure he was feeling pretty good at that point.
Except.....that all changed a few hours later. His pain meds must have worn off because he was a hurting little boy. With being so small they could only give him tylenol. I felt so bad for him. Needless to say, neither of us got much sleep that night. He was examined the next morning and we were free to go home.

Today, Carson had her head messured again. Let me back up a second. Not sure If I have blogged about this, but Carson has been dealing with some "head size" issues for a couple of weeks. Her head has actually been growing to fast and in a "toaster" shape. So, our doctor has been watching her closely. Carson had a CT scan while she was in the NICU to make sure things were growing well and that the bones hadn't prematurely started to fuse. Everything looked great at that point. Except...her head has continued to grow funny and fast. She had a second CT scan about 2 weeks ago and they found that there was a small area behind her soft spot that has started to fuse together...which if it countinues to fuse it could start squeezing her little brain...NOT GOOD.
So, today....Carson had a 3rd measurement done and a 3rd CT scan. At 4.5 months old her head size is off the growth chart, which makes us a little nervous. In 2 weeks her head grew 1 1/2 cm.
So, she has an appointment with the neurosurgeon at Children's in Milwaukee on the 28th. She now needs to have x-rays done so they can see how bad the fusing is. They call this head growth / fusing thing "Craniosynostosis". WARNING....if you are like me and want to look this up...I must warn you that some of the pictures you may come across are very graphic. Just to warn you. I was no way ready for what I saw. Expecially the after surgery ones. She has also been having some issues with her left eye wondering. They said if she wasn't a preemie there would be nothing to worry about but since she was she needs to see the ped ophthalmologist.

So, it's our next hurdle that God has given us. Hopefully we will be strong enough for this.

Riley also has an appointment with the neurologist on the 24 th and then the neurosurgeon that same day with Carson for her A. Chiari Malformation. I'm sure it was be just a joyous day!
Oh yah....It was also weigh in day. I must be honest with you. This week was TERRIBLE! With the stress of Cooper's surgery and not being able to work out all week because the school was out for spring break....I crashed and burned big time. But, there must have been someone watching from above because when I stepped on the scale this morning it said I had lost 1 pound! I could not believe my eyes. So, I am now down 12 lbs!! Hopefully this week will be much better!

2 comments:

Lost A Sock said...

Cooper looks just like Keegan in that picture. Adorable. :0)

Keep going one step at a time. You're doing better than I'd ever do.

Frema said...

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with all of these issues right now. Here's to all four of your children coming out healthy and strong in the end.