Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Nearly impossible

to go anywhere with 4 children by myslef. Take yesterday, the kids and I thought we would run a errons. My game plan before we left the house was....we would go to Barns and Noble so the older kids could play and I could research a few books I have been wanting to read then to Jo-Anns fabric, and to Sam's Club. But before we got out of the house, my girlfriend Erin and her twin boys stopped over for a brief moment to drop off some cookies that they made for Riley and Keegan. Erin told us they were on their way to Toy's R'Us to play on the jungle gym equipment. After my kids heard that, they also wanted to go. No, no , no...I needed to stick to the game plan in my head or nothing would get done. After getting ALL the kids packed in to the "Bus" (our mini van) we were off to Barns and Noble. Wouldn't you know it.......as soon as I pulled out of the garage, the kids started screaming that they wanted to play with Jacob and Tyler - which meant we had to go to Toy's R' Us. At that point of time, I should have pulled right back in and called it a day....but no. So after hearing them scream for a few blocks....I gave in. We were off to play with the boys. We get there and get everyone off the "bus" and into the store ,Erin is shocked to see us, and the kids couldn't be happier. We just get to the point of taking our shoes off and the questions and looks start pouring in. Out of the corner of my eye I can see this lady staring at us. I dare not give her any eye contact beacuse then you know she's just going to ask you something...and 99% of the time it's a DUMB question. I dodge all the looks and questions and leave the two older ones with Erin while I take a brief look around. After about 45 minutes of play we were packing up the "bus" again. This time, we were off to Jo- Anns fabric. A word to the wise.....NEVER take 2 - 3 yr olds to a fabric store with out a second pair of eyes or stroller. For the most part they are good about sticking to the stroller that the 3 month olds are in, but today for some reason was different. They wanted to be INDEPENDENT. They were hiding under the tables of fabric, Riley found some spooles of "pretties" that she wanted for her hair.....needless to say she had 3 rolls unwound before I could say "we'll take 5 yrds of that". Keegan found the sissor section and had found 3 pairs he wanted, and as I turned around again, Riley had just tiped over the the twirly rack thing that holds the patterns. Great, and I hadn't found flannel yet for the babies swaddling blankets. AHHHHHH . Calgon take me away.
I finally get everyone under control, I find my fabric and get to the cutting table. The lady asks me......."Your pretty qutsy - how do you have the nerve to take 4 kids out by yourself?" I was just about ready to knock her out! Out of that store and back into the "bus". Off to Sam's Club. I thought I would be somewhat safe there because the carts are so friggin' huge that I could put everyone in it. I get the boys in the back and the girls in the front. At least I had everyone contained. Now, I just had to deal with the looks and comments. We get into the store and the first couple we meet are no futher than 10 feet inside the store. She says" Awww honey, look at the babies....are all these your kids? As they are breathing over the tops of Riley and Carson. Yup...they sure are. What do people barrow kids to go shopping these days? "You are a brave woman". Ahhh, Thanks. As we proceed into the store, I can hear the lady behind me that just spoke to us say to another woman....."Can you believe her? All those kids and she by herself."
Every isle we attempt to go down someone has a comment. "How do you do it?" , "Where are you going to put your groceries?" Giggles, looks......Hasn't anyone ever seen a parent with 4 kids before ? I was so sick of answering questions that I only got half my shopping done and left. It's just blows my mind that people are so in awe about seeing us. Oh well......I guess I better get used to it. Everyone is paid for so there isn't an option for giving anyone back. I just hope people get smarted as my kids get older. The" Are they identical" and " Does it run in your family "questions are getting old. Although my favorite question of all times is
" Are they identical or NACHTERNAL". Oh well...I just keep telling myslef that some people are better than others in human biology. Good Night.

3 comments:

Lost A Sock said...

Everyone looks because not only do you have four kids, born two at a time, but they're cute to top it off!!

Seriously, though, I hope it gets better for you. Not that it's not hard enough to get your running around done with four kids, but to have gawkers. Maybe it will get better once the babies are out of their infant seats and not as noticeable?

No matter what, you're my hero for even making the attempt to get out with everybody!

Frema said...

I agree with Molly. Some people won't venture out with just one baby. You are a rock star. :)

BikerTigger said...

"Are they identical?" is still one of my favorite questions. As a father of twins, I here that one myself all the time, also. Not that my twinsies look anything alike. Being the father of Boy/Girl twins makes that question even funnier. I have jsut started responding that no, one has an "innie" and the other has an "outie" and just wait for them to figure THAT one out.

You are definately brave. I try not to go anywhere with my 3 yr old twins solo. Trying to take 2 sets anywhere make elevate you to Superhero status.